The Agro-Biodiversity Initiative (TABI)
Department of Planning, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and Swiss Agency forDevelopment Cooperation
Vacancy Announcement for Lao nationals
Position: Land Use Planning Manager and Facilitator
The Agro-Biodiversity Initiative (TABI) is a long-term initiative to contribute to poverty alleviation and improved livelihoods of upland communities through the sustainable management and use of agrobiodiversity. The project is entering its 3rd phase (April 2017 – September 2020) and is looking for an experienced land use planning and/or natural resource management expert to support scaling of TABI’s approach to Forest and Agriculture Land Use Planning, Allocation and Management Approach (FALUPAM).
The position will be responsible for managing and coordinating the FALUPAM activities in TABI, working closely with Government counterparts and facilitating exchange with other agencies as well as development partners to scale the approach. TABI’s main partners in land use planning are Department of Agriculture Land Management (DALAM) andCentre for Development and Environment/University of Berne (CDE). The position would be initially for 2 years with a potential for extension for 1 more year.
Tasks and Responsibilities
· On behalf of TABI, manage and coordinate all aspects of the FALUPAM activities in the project;
· Work closely with, and assist, the GoL staff in the full range of activities and issues involved in the forest and land use planning, allocation and management process;
· Coordinate with other projects or stakeholders using the FALUPAM approach;
· Keep records and data of on-going and completed pFALUPAM activities in TABI, maintaining material and reports and keep updated contact details with key actors
· Oversee the process for monitoring of FALUPAM on a regular basis, and collate monitoring reports;
· Work with DALAM to develop and implement a capacity development plan for FALUPAM for future sustainability of the approach
- Work across Government departments and ministries to share lessons, experiences and support the spread of the approach
- Build partnerships with NGOs, projects and donor agencies to spread the use of the approach.
- Provide inputs into sub-sectorial and policy related exchange, advocacy and planning platforms.
- Support development of materials and information on FALUPAM
- Required skills and experience
- - At least 7-15 years of experience in agriculture and forestry land management or natural resource management planning and implementation
- Proficiency in English and Lao language
- - Master’s degree in agriculture or natural resource management related field
- - Experience in facilitating, training and leading land use management processes
- - Experience in using GIS and other technical tools for land use planning- Experience in working closely with Government Agencies and different partners.
Duty Station: Based in Vientiane, but frequent visits to target provinces (LPB, XKH, HPN)
Duration: Full time for two years with possible extension for 1 more year.